Join Now CLEARING CLUTTER: Past Clutter
Thread Statistics

Started On: 08/10/07
Last Activity: 08/10/07
Comments: 2 comments

Participants

Freya created by: Freya

Past Clutter

I have some ( hate to give numbers) of projects that I have had pending for some time: creating an album of a friends life, finisheing a rug,  stuff to sell on e-bay. kniting a sweter, making a quilt. organiing family photo albums etc. All these pending projects are taking up space. The stuff is cluttering my life and probably my brain.  I am trying to conquer and do one at a time. Say to myself this is what you are going to do. If I can get rid of this clutter I will be back on square one.Somewhere along the way I did not follow through. As an example the sweater project I have had the yarn for about 15 years. I do know how to knit , sorta . So to do this  project I will have to get someone to help me with the pattern as I am trying to recreate a favorite  sweater.  

Comments

ellenbeth

ellenbeth

Fri, Aug 10 12:00 AM

Lies and stuff - added: Fri, Aug 10 12:00 AM

As part of Tools, I have had to acknowledge that I have lied to myself in the past and I commit to only telling myself the truth. Part of the lies I tell myself is that I will fix this or complete that. And I haven't. So, as part of the 2-10 minutes of making something in my life better, I am asking if this project is really that important...do I even want to do that, keep that anymore. Most of the projects are not that important  that I would want to spend money or time on them to complete them. With that decision, I've been able to release more clutter. I can give it away to someone who will love it or I can give it away to charity, and maybe I need to just throw it away. If it is still important, then I agree with Starling, it deserves a place in my day that I can work on it in babysteps.

Maybe asking yourself how important it is will allow you to release stuff that you no longer need or want.

Hope this helps.

Ellen

Starling

Starling

Fri, Aug 10 12:00 AM # View Full Thread (0) # Comment (0)

Is it important? - added: Fri, Aug 10 12:00 AM

I think asking that question is a great idea. I was doing something like that about my own needlework supplies.

Right now that is all on hold. It is possible that I haven't been doing needlework or scrapbooking or even stuff on the computer because I just can't see well enough to do it right now.

But after the cataract surgery I might feel totally different from how I've been feeling the last few years, because I've been told that most people's eyesight gets substantially better after the surgery.

At that point I ought to be able to actually decide just how important all that needlework stuff really is. And either it is important and I start using it, or it isn't important and it becomes officially clutter and then out it goes.

Starling

Starling

Starling

Fri, Aug 10 12:00 AM

Tiny steps - added: Fri, Aug 10 12:00 AM

I don't know how far you are in Tools, but for the last couple of weeks I've been at the point were you figure out what you can do each day that will move you in the direction you want to go.

So take that sweater. What tiny step can you take TODAY?

Starling